Friday, December 10, 2010

My Friends



I have a lot of friends, many, many in the Oxford definition, few who are really close to my heart. And I must say that I have been extremely fortunate with my friends.

Some of my best, closest friends are my family – my parents and my sister. I also think of my ten year old nephew as a close friend. We really enjoy each other’s company a lot. Moreover we are always learning from each other and we have a lot of respect for each other. My maternal uncle is another close friend, and I always look to him for advice, especially when I am having difficulty in deciding something.

Apart from my closest family, I have many family members who I classify as friends. And of course I have friends, real close friends outside the family circle. Some of them are close by and we manage to meet often; others are far away and I can’t meet them or talk to them as often as I would like. But it’s always a pleasure to be able to meet them when I travel to their part of the world or they visit mine.

There are friends I have travelled to different parts of the world. And each of those travels has been a memorable experience, as much because of the place as the company.

There are friends at whose house I have spent wonderful days and evening time after time. Sometimes seating by the fireplace, on a cold winter evening, sipping coffee and talking our hearts out, other times cooking in the kitchen, while some peppy music played in the background. Sometimes hanging out in their garden or on their balcony drinking tea and looking at birds on and trees, sometimes drinking wine looking at the stars….

There are friends that I meet, once in maybe 3-4 years and we have not even been in touch in between those years but as soon as we meet, there is just so much to share.  Going around a beautiful city with a friend who knows the place and its history is an experience I will always cherish.

Friends that I have made at work places but who have gone much beyond just being colleagues – who have made me feel part of their family – from whom I have learnt so much – about work but also about so many other things – different games, different cultures and books and songs… the list is endless…

And in this digital world, my list of happy moments spent with friends will be incomplete without mentioning some wonderful chat sessions I have had on messenger or even FB. When one sees a “Hi” on the messenger or FB from a dear friend, it is always such a pleasant moment. And then sometimes just a few minutes but other times even long hours… These modern day tools and technologies just take away the distance and the time difference… Sometimes it actually feels like chatting with the person in person. It does not matter if the person is in the next room, next building, another city or half way across the world.

And then there are friends who are a lot more than a friend – someone who is a friend, philosopher and guide…. Of course there are very, very, very few who fall in this category….

My friends are one my most valuable treasures. Amongst the many things in my life that I am deeply grateful to God, almighty, fate, nature – whatever – for; great friends is definitely amongst the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment